’In the Wind – Sensing the Location Now’ was a collective exhibition introducing visual art, environmental art and live art combined together for this unique event, inviting all and anyone who is interested in art, activism and current topics regarding research in arts. This three-week-event included the main exhibition, performances and discussions. The event was also part of the Art Fair Finland – contemporary art festival.
Riikka Kevo, Mari Martin, Marjatta Oja ja/and Leena & Oula A. Valkeapää
Myymälä 2, Uudenmaankatu 23 F, 00120 Helsinki
ke-la 12-18, su 12-17, ma-ti suljettu / wed-sat 12-18, sun 12-17, mon-tue closed
Breath of the Land, a local situational sculpture, Marjatta Oja
Cities on the Move, drawing project, welcome to be drawn, Riikka Kevo
In the Wind, about 6 min. multimedia piece, Leena & Oula A. Valkeapää
On the Streets, private & joint guided city walks, Mari Martin
– 20.5. Opening from 12:00 to 18:00.
– 21. and 22.5. from 13:00 to 16:00, Cities on the Move, welcome to be drawn, Riikka Kevo
– 26.5. starting at 16:00, On the Streets, private and joint guided city walks led by Mari Martin, max. 5 participants.
– 27. and 28.5. from 13:00 to 16:00, Cities on the Move, welcome to be drawn, Riikka Kevo
– 29.5 starting at 13:00 public talk about mobility and change with guests: cultural producer and radio reporter Liisa Nassir Tolonen, visual artist Egle Oddo, and composer-researcher-artist Timo Tuhkanen. On-line DJ session with Liisa Nassir Tolonen.
– 2.6. starting at 16:00, On the Streets, private and joint guided city walks led by Mari Martin, max. 5 participants.
– 10.6. from 13:00 to 15:00, Cities on the Move, welcome to be drawn, Riikka Kevo
– 11.6. starting at 13:00 the seminar of artistic research discusses ‘’In the Wind-Sensing the Location Now’ exhibition and new forms of art with guest speaker Jaana Erkkilä-Hill, Vice Rector of University of the Arts Helsinki and visual artist.
Discussions or seminars:
Moving, change, movement-discussion event on Saturday at 13 – 15
In Myymälä2 gallery and with a webinar remote connection.
The themes of In the Wind – Sensing the Location Now exhibition event are climate change and its consequences, rising sea levels, the narrowing of living space and the consequent need for move and change in life.
How do we feel about the new place we are meant to live in? Come, hear and discuss moving, change, and movement, and consider what they mean on a personal level.
We have invited Egle Oddo and Timo Tuhkanen from Myymälä2’s artist collective and Liisa Nassir Tolonen, a cultural producer / radio journalist, from Stockholm. Artists Marjatta Oja and Riikka Kevo from the exhibition event will take part in the discussion from their own perspectives. Also participating in the discussion event are artist Leena Valkeapää and Mari Martin. Moderated by Marjatta Oja.
In the Wind – Sensing the Location Now at Myymälä2 (Uuudenmaankatu 23 HKI) or remotely via webinaar. On Friday 11.6.2021 starting 13:00 SF
The themes of the artists in exhibition ’In the Wind – Sensing the Location Now’
Mari Martin: In relation to the urban environment. I reflect on the results of my artistic work in urban environments and its research: for example, sensitivity to the environment, a sense of belonging to the environment, and an understanding of the construction of society.
Leena Valkeapää: Art from everyday life. Observations on the temporality of artistic research.
Riikka Kevo: Rising Waters — Cities on the Move, Helsinki. People are often very connected to the apartment and the area they feel as their home, and I look at this and the threatening future sea level rise in the future and, in many ways, a person at risk of injury.
Marjatta Oja: Readjustment time. I reflect on the empathy of artists in these times, the direction of collaboration and activism, and better coexistence in an ecologically sustainable way with our environment.
Our guest will be the Vice Rector of University of the Arts Helsinki and visual artist Jaana Erkkilä-Hill.
13:00 Introduction and max.10 min talks of each panelist
14:00 Discussion, attendees can ask questions as well.
Remote attending is possible by the link.